Sort by Last Name:
Firm president Joe McGuire has been practicing with McGuire, Wood & Bissette since 1978. His recent work includes litigation related to trade secrets, covenants not to compete, unfair and deceptive trade practices, property disputes, breach of contract, shareholder rights, insurance coverage, employment and business fraud. Representative clients include The City of Asheville and Beverly-Hanks and Associates.
- McClure v. County of Jackson, 185 N.C.App. 462,648 S.E.2d 546 (2007)(county's liability for unlawful removal of chair of local airport authority).
- Smith v. Jackson County Board of Education, 168 N.C.App. 452, 608 S.E.2d 399 (2005)(school board's liability for coach's misconduct with student).
- VisionAir, Inc. v. James, 167 N.C.App. 504, 606 S.E.2d 359 (2004)(injunctive relief for misappropriation of computer trade secrets).
- Layman v. Alexander, 343 F.Supp.2d 483 (W.D.N.C. 2004)(sheriff's liability for detention officers' indifference to arrestee's medical needs).
- Doyle v. Asheville Orthopedic Associates, 148 N.C.App. 173, 557 S.E.2d 577 (2001), rev. denied, 355 N.C. 348, 562 S.E.2d 278 (2002)(employer liability for constructive discharge of physician employee).
- Millar v. Reliastar Life Ins. Co., 157 F.Supp.2d 645 (W.D.N.C. 2000)(arbitrability of insurance dispute).
- Prentiss v. Allstate Ins. Co., 7 F.Supp.2d 514 (W.D.N.C. 1999)(constitutionality of provision of state driver incentive plan).
- D'Alessandro v. Westall, 972 F.Supp. 965 (W.D.N.C. 1997)(municipal liability for high speed police pursuit).
- Toms v. Lawyers Mutual Liab. Ins. Co., 104 N.C.App. 88, 408 S.E.2d 206 (1991), cert. denied, 330 N.C. 618, 412 S.E.2d 95 (1992)(insurer duty to defend under professional liability policy).
- Mountain Federal Land Bank v. First Union National Bank, 98 N.C.App. 195, 390 S.E.2d 679, cert. denied, 327 N.C. 141, 394 S.E.2d 178 (1990)(enforceability of bank's standby letter of credit).
- Leasing Service Corp. v. Crane, 804 F.2d 828 (4th Cir. 1986)(well drilling company's liabilities under equipment lease).
- Stines v. Willyng, Inc., 81 N.C.App. 98, 344 S.E.2d 546 (1986)(enforceability of park easement described in developer's plat).
- Land-of-Sky Regional Council v. County of Henderson, 78 N.C.App. 86, 336 S.E.2d 653 (1985)(county's liability for share of regional council's budget).
Joe has been named among Business North Carolina’s Legal Elite and as a North Carolina Super Lawyer. He has received the Circle of Excellence Award from Leadership Asheville Forum and the Distinguished Leadership Award for the National Association for Community Leadership. The Joseph P. McGuire First Year Seminar on Critical Thinking at UNC-Chapel Hill was named in his honor.
Joe serves on the Board of Directors of the Center for Diversity Education at UNC Asheville and the Board of Directors of the Leadership Asheville Forum. He served as Director of the UNC General Alumni Association from 2003-2006.
Joseph P. McGuire828.254.8800
48 Patton Avenue
PO Box 3180
Asheville, North Carolina 28802-3180
BarAdmitted to Bar 1975 (NC), 1976 (GA)
U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina
4th Circuit Court of Appeals
EducationHarvard University (J.D., 1975)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.A., 1972)