Sort by Last Name:
Tom Grella has an extensive background in business and commercial real estate and development law, including: preparation of legal documents related to the private placement of securities; helping clients with the formation of multi-owner developments and communities, including condominiums, traditional planned community subdivisions and HUD apartments; transactional representation in the purchase and sale of businesses; formation of corporations, LLCs and partnerships; commercial leasing; corporate representation of medical practices; preparation and review of business contracts; representation of planned unit and condominium associations and more. He represents several banks in western North Carolina on legal issues regarding commercial lending, and on their larger commercial real estate lending transactions.
Specific representative work Tom has helped clients with:
- Private placement of securities compliance, including Regulation D filings, and private placement memorandums and other documentary requirements for federal and state compliance. Many of the representations have regarded real estate syndications, however several have regarded unique inventions, website products, movies and other non-real estate related ventures. Further, representation of nonprofit security issuances and intrastate offerings.
- Closings of apartment complexes qualified under the HUD 221(d) insurance program. These include numerous projects in Buncombe County, Catawba County and Stokes County, North Carolina.
- Commercial lease drafting and negotiation, both landlord and tenant: high rise buildings, shopping centers, stand-alone buildings and ground leases.
- Comprehensive legal work for Developers with respect to many new construction condominium projects, and condominium conversion projects: residential, commercial and mixed-use, including negotiation of building contracts, drafting declarations and covenants and organization of owners associations.
- Represents numerous homeowner association; both planned community and condominium.
- Experienced in conversion of “subdivision” condominiums to planned community (including termination of condominium and organization of replacement planned community).
- Represents several management companies, and is experienced in helping draft and negotiate terms of management agreements between communities and management companies.
- Vast experience in the representation of medical practices, from dealing with day-to-day operational issues to the negotiation of professional service agreements and asset purchase agreements with the local hospital. Drafting of unique shareholder employment agreements to address unique systems of compensation of physicians for medical work based on WRVU’s and quality standards pay.
In addition to the above listed legal services, Tom gives consultation to law firms on management, leadership and strategic planning. His thoughts on strategy and leadership can be found at Strategic Legal Leadership, his blog: www.tomgrella.com.
An attorney with McGuire, Wood & Bissette since 1988, and a partner since 1993, Tom is Immediate Past Chair of the Management Committee of McGuire, Wood & Bissette, P.A., having served in that capacity for 12 years. He presently serves as a member of the Firm’s Management Committee. He is a past Chair of the ABA Law Practice Management Section (now known as the Law Practice Division), and presently sits on its Executive Committee. Tom has served in many positions within the ABA Law Practice Division, including being a member of its Council, Chair of its Core Groups, a member of its Publications Board and Chair of its Diversity Committee. He co-authored The Lawyer’s Guide to Strategic Planning in 2005, and is author of the 2013 released Lessons in Leadership: Essential Skills for Lawyers, both publications of the ABA Law Practice Division. He is currently an ABA Law Practice Division Delegate serving his second 3 year term in the ABA House of Delegates, and is Immediate Past Chair, and a member of, the ABA House of Delegates Technology and Communications Committee. He is currently on the Law Practice Magazine Board, and also Columns Editor of the ABA LPM’s Law Practice Magazine, and is co-author of the Managing column in that publication.
Tom was the 2012 recipient of the Sam Smith Award, presented annually by the ABA Law Practice Division to an individual who has demonstrated excellence in law practice management. He is also a Fellow of the College of Law Practice Management, a Fellow of the National Institute for the Teaching of Ethics and Professionalism, and a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. He is a frequent speaker on law practice management topics such as strategic planning, law firm leadership and management, and the future of the profession. In 1990, he was honored with the Outstanding Young Lawyer Award by the North Carolina Bar Association, and he has twice been named Asheville Kiwanian of the Year. He is a Past Chair of the Arden Presbyterian Church Deacon Board and of the Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce Ambassador Committee. Tom is a Member of the Board of Young Life of Asheville–Buncombe County and is a Graduate of Leadership Asheville.
Thomas Christopher Grella828.254.8800
48 Patton Avenue
PO Box 3180
Asheville, North Carolina 28802-3180
BarAdmitted to Bar 1985 (NC)
U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina
U.S. Tax Court
EducationWake Forest University (J.D., 1985)
James Madison University (B.B.A., 1982)